Chat/discussion for Rover specific topics
No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

midlifer
Be Nice I'm a Newbie
Be Nice I'm a Newbie

Re: Head count

Post by midlifer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:51 pm

I bought my 216 coupe in February 2011, for probably the best reason - I just wanted one and always had!

It has always been a second car, but initially I drove it most of the time, leaving my elderly Mercedes C class (also a splendid car) at home. The coupe was in good condition when I bought it, but needed some body work tidying and a few minor running issues resolved. I put about 28,000 miles on it and loved every minute. Roll on four plus years and the winter use (mostly the road salt) had taken its toll and it was back to the body shop. This prompted the acquisition of secure storage, especially to keep the weather off. Inevitably, the head gasket needed attention, which of course I had done (multi-layer, naturally). The car now owed me considerably more than when I first got it and was becoming more of an asset than a fun thing.

So, out of nowhere I had a fair weather 'high days and holidays' car. I still love the car to bits, but I can't help worrying about the impact of inclement weather and the poor thing hardly saw the light of day last winter - just a few sneaky runs on the best days to keep everything running smoothly.

When I first checked the 'how many left' site (some years ago), there were around 1,000 Tomcats actually taxed (I didn't count the SORNs). Last time I looked, there were less than 600 taxed. I suspect that many of the 'dedicated' owners (those that aren't just going to move their car on in the way an earlier poster suggested) are in a similar position to me.

The cars are becoming quite rare and more of the parts are NLA, which means that keeping them running can't be taken for granted in the way it was six or ten years ago. There is a splendid recent post on the forum about a member who has acquired an MG ZR as a daily driver, as he didn't want the daily grind to wear his Tomcat down any further. I suspect most of the current owners are in the same position. Inevitably, as the cars have aged, their number has reduced and their value increased. In all likelihood, they are no longer fast toys for young(ish) boys, but a piece of British automotive history. This was always going to happen, and will also be the case for newer marques and models as they progress through the same stages of ownership, use and rarity.

My daughter has a splendid 1953 Riley RME and we are members of the RM club. The club exists primarily to provide spare parts (the youngest vehicle is now more than 60 years old). Perhaps this might be the future for the Rover Coupe Owners Club? The interesting thing there is that the members are mostly an older generation, many of them retired. The problem they have is that the membership may fall away as the members finally reach the point where they can no longer participate. Most 'younger' people will not remember these cars from their youth, so are less likely to be interested in preserving them. I think the Rover Coupe Owners club is a long way from that position, but it is probably the way all car enthusiast groups go over time.

I think Facebook has also affected forum use, especially the more 'interactive' chit chat. Personally, I can't see the attraction of FB, but many people have a different view. This is quite likely the reason why the level of posting has dropped so markedly.

For what it's worth, I think there are two things the club should concentrate on. The first is to encourage the ongoing technical exchange (I suspect it may keep itself going, as it's so useful). The second is to continue to focus on events and encouraging people to attend. The club stand at the NEC Classic Car show is a fantastic example of what the club can achieve.

Well, that's enough words for me not to have to post for quite some time. I would like to hear everyone elses' views, though.

Cheers,

Philip

Jimm
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jimm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Perhaps not unsurprisingly I'm still here. Having been around for so long I have seen the highs a lows for the club/brand and cars.

We all want things to build back to the heady days but this needs input from more than just a few people. The club is in a much stronger position now than it had been for a long while. The merchandise is keeping the club afloat finally.

It is very easy to criticise but very rarely do we get volunteers to actually solve issues and help bring the club on. We will always welcome help and assistance. Craig's list above and Stew's thoughts about social media fit with my own. Yet these things don't need someone to be appointed. Anyone can do them at anytime. Running an event, promoting the forum on facebook as a better way and turning up to events isn't an Admin role.

I have been unable to attend many events and have been uanable to contribute as much as I would like due to my health over the last few years. However, I have booked the club into a a series of events and been there to promote the club. And the people who turned up I could have phoned directly. There was an event yesterday. 2 people turned up. It's hard to keep motivated with that.

More positively and that's what this thread should be about. I would like the club to become a fee playing club so that we can fund club banners, flags etc. We can start to supply parts and store them and develop a network of new suppliers. I'd like to see the club mag come back. The how to guides from members on this club are an invaluable resource.

I'd like to see other peoples suggestions of things they can do to move things forward.
1995 220 turbo coupe (gone, but sorely missed)
1998 VVC in rare tahiti blue
1993 220 turbo track car

I'm a "Ringer" '07, '08, '09

martinhodge
Honorary Member

Post by martinhodge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 pm

im still here lol .

CoupeRich
Coupe Veteran

Post by CoupeRich » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 pm

I agree with everything expressed on this thread so far.

I'm just as guilty as others, having had a coupe since 2003 (and had a few other ones as well) I wish I did contribute more. Its one of those things, where you keep meaning to, but something crops up.

I think I do have quite a bit of knowledge to share about them, and rebuilding my own from a shell means I'll pretty much touch every component.

My biggest problem is I'm more of a "do-er" than a "writer" and thus, have always hated writing things down. Id would have been good to have a photo record of what I have done with the car to help others.

One area id like to be involved in is Parts - for some reason I love cataloguing, tracking down, working what does what with parts. The biggest problem is storage. I have seen so much go to waste its criminal. Even this weekend I was too late to save much from a low mileage 216 Coupe that was being broken locally for banger racing. I got the bits I needed, but everything else was broken and disposed off before I could get there.

When my car is finished, Ill have so much more time, and I'm not doing another car project any time soon, so hopefully I can put more tiem and energy into the club

Also promise to make more meets when the car is finally done!

Davva

Post by Davva » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 am

Some good points raised, as the newest member of the Admin team, I became more involved with the club after being asked to show my Coupe at the NEC in 2013, Jimm had mentioned in a post somewhere about the club needing an Events organiser and the shop being restocked, I volunteered for the shop, mainly because I wanted some stickers and a mug for myself. I also seem to remember saying I'd do it for a year and see how we get on.
Tom & Jimm agreed to my offer and the rest you all know. What I didn't know was they also asked me to be a mod.

There's some good comments coming out in this thread and we all seem to be of a positive attitude so what are the next steps ?

The club has always seemed to run itself, and meets have been organised by members going to that meet, some people may have the view that the Admin team organise the meets, this isn't true except for the NEC in November which is a lot of hard work by a lot of people.
With Facebook, the club thing seems to of been lost, the page is active but how many people on there are over here, as said before theres a different type of person over there (or on here), I shunned FB for years and still feel it is a waste of time but I post occasionally on there. One thing I do notice is the reoccuring posts, where do I get this, How does this work etc, something this forum has the answer to. The problem is how to combine the two, ideally the forum could have a facebook 'window' within it, post away on FB but the forum works in parallel with all the knowledge and benefits of a club.

As Jimm (and others) has touched on, do we go to being a proper 'Owners Club' with paid membership and a committee or stay as a forum page that anyone can post on ?

Personnally, I'd like to see us to move into being an 'Owners Club' with a committee, but that will need a lot of work and everyones agreement, and until people step forward and say 'I'll do that' it won't happen.
I'd like to see the forum pages return to how they were before the issues last year, the events calendar and picture of the month can then return and get the shop pages running again, we now have Paypal sorted so buying and selling merchandise should be easier.
Kev has done a fantastic job on the rear quarter panels and Add has 3d modelled the trim clips, I suspect theres more bits to come so people are pushing the club forward with new parts. To get parts made we need some capital, that could come from paid membership with obvious discounts for club members, front wings seem to be raised quite frequently, when we get the sample rear quarters we could move into them. The shop needs a float to buy items to sell, sounds obvious but when the profit goes to keep the club running (this forum isn't free to host, the web address' aren't free, the NEC costs a fortune what with electricity and insurance - someone pays, ever wondered who ?)
At the next Christmas meet I'll have a balance sheet of this years accounts so people can see where the money comes from and goes to,

So the big question.

Does anyone fancy stepping up helping the club move forward ?

If you don't want to post on here and potentially committ yourself, send a PM.
Dave

1993 220 NASP
1972 MG Midget

1234dist
Coupe Super Poster

Post by 1234dist » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Having been on here over 6 years years myself i have seen a few highs and lows myself.

(my 10p)

How can you consider charging for membership while even the site isn't working. Broken links all over the place and other than future event.....what would we be paying towards.

Im a paid member of the 200oc, i even paid a year in advanced.
Plenty of of meetings and events, well planned and executed AGM's, Admin team are easy to contact and quick to reply and a very active forum.

I will always help wherever i can.

First port of call, AGM......give people a job to do and make sure by the following agm it's done.

Give me a shout if needed.

bit of a rant.....sorry.
Coupe Project K785OAT (abs fixing again :cool )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe now barely a shell :rip

Davva

Post by Davva » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

1234dist wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Having been on here over 6 years years myself i have seen a few highs and lows myself.

(my 10p)

How can you consider charging for membership while even the site isn't working. Broken links all over the place and other than future event.....what would we be paying towards.

Im a paid member of the 200oc, i even paid a year in advanced.
Plenty of of meetings and events, well planned and executed AGM's, Admin team are easy to contact and quick to reply and a very active forum.

I will always help wherever i can.

First port of call, AGM......give people a job to do and make sure by the following agm it's done.

Give me a shout if needed.

bit of a rant.....sorry.
Not at all, rant away, at least it's being discussed, lets keep the thoughts coming but keep it positive.

All valid points, and I agree with you, the forum does need fixing and probably new features added.
There's a wealth of knowledge tucked away in peoples posts and 'How to' guides and getting them all in one place and edited down into an easy to read format would be great for future reference and is a major part of the forum that FB can't match.

Yes, we need to offer something, and as Kev and Mick etc said earlier on getting people to contribute to posts/threads is hard, but we also need people to step up and offer something to help the club move forward.
Dave

1993 220 NASP
1972 MG Midget

sworks
Coupe Veteran

Post by sworks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I think the idea of a paid membership is the way forward. I'm a member of a few forums and Facebook groups but as an owners club to move forward you need funds especially if you want to start producing parts to keep the cars going. I'm involved in another owners club which takes up quite a lot of time but happy to help if I can

alfesti
Coupe Addict

Post by alfesti » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am

Still here, haven't been on in a while as Ive been working like crazy over the summer and have a non Coupe project taking my time. Like the rest of us I fall in and out of love with the car, but normally just looking out the window at the spoiler is enough to make me smile again!

There are so few of these cars now its important there is a strong club to help with parts and give advice, as well as promoting the model at shows (Id offer mine for the NEC but the rear arches have started bubbling this year so maybe not!).

If that means a small membership fee and thats the difference between getting a front wing or other essential part in the future then its worth the price.

Ive been in and out of the RSR over the years, they are a very good club with loads of marque support and shows to go to, and the Tomcat has always been welcome - it gets more interest than my P6 as its the only one! - but their parts support is aimed at the much older models so our own supplies will become essential ass time goes by
More Rovers than sense...
'93 220 NASP
'73 3500
'72 2000

wazz
Coupe Lover

Post by wazz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

I have loads to post done a huge amount of work to my coupe in the last 10 months, tons of pics but having lost photobucket and Google pics being useless I'm not sure how to add a pic anymore, what are you guys using for pic hosting?

Cheers

Wayne

VVC-Geeza
Coupe Super Poster

Post by VVC-Geeza » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 pm

wazz wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm
I have loads to post done a huge amount of work to my coupe in the last 10 months, tons of pics but having lost photobucket and Google pics being useless I'm not sure how to add a pic anymore, what are you guys using for pic hosting?

Cheers

Wayne
I'm now using Flickr.Very easy to use and image quality is nice and sharp.The only slight annoyance is that it prints your full name as well as the pic.Not a problem if you don't mind this or it can be removed by taking it out of the link before you submit it.Just a bit tedious if you have to do it each time when posting multiple pic's.Overall though I would highly recommend it. 8)

Looking forward to your pic's :D

Monster Hunter
Ultimate Post Whore

Post by Monster Hunter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

I did not know I could just use FlikR good shout, I'm still here, but lost 17 months joining the RAF plus a total rebuild on the coupe 9 months, and a complete house rebuild, all is good and I am going nowhere neither is the coupe.
H
B S L F
2007 RINGER/Cadwell/Donnington/silverstone/
10k Poster....

Ravinder
Coupe Super Poster

Post by Ravinder » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

Facebook has unfortunately taken over. People expect instant replies these days which Facebook almost guarantees.
Wanted - Indian bride. Cash waiting.

wazz
Coupe Lover

Post by wazz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, just moved to duxford so had a week from hell getting organised, i will check it out and get a thread up when iv got all the boxes unpacked and some internet installed.

Cheers

Wayne

VVC-Geeza
Coupe Super Poster

Post by VVC-Geeza » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 pm

wazz wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm
Thanks for the reply, just moved to duxford so had a week from hell getting organised, i will check it out and get a thread up when iv got all the boxes unpacked and some internet installed.

Cheers

Wayne
Duxford eh,you will have to get some pic's up of the planes too 8)