Car parts

Chat/discussion for Rover specific topics
No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Car parts

Post by joshfman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi guys I did post a little while ago about some tool bag writing my car off. Iam now thinking about making it a sunday project and getting her going again. Iam having problems finding rear panels for it. Rimmer bros are fresh out of stock but have doors! Cheap too! Does anyone know where they can get parts from? Iam told by rimmer bros that I will have a real hard time. But iam sure there are people racing these and breading parts and replacing them surely? Cheers :)

1234dist
Coupe Super Poster

Re: Car parts

Post by 1234dist » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 pm

can you specify what you mean by rear panel?
Coupe Project K785OAT (abs fixing again :cool )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe now barely a shell :rip

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Post by joshfman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 am

Yeah I guess it's the whole rear quater panel.

1234dist
Coupe Super Poster

Post by 1234dist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 am

pretty sure only bodge and H have stock like that now and the chances of them letting them go is slim.
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Post by joshfman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am

Hm OK who are they? Are they users on here or? Iam pretty stuck I really want to get the coupe back on the road. Can't face scrapping it!! I did see a repair panel thread on here but it for like six inches worth of rear arch trailing down to the door which could be of some use u guess

Add
Gravel Trap Queen

Post by Add » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Once the repair panels have been fabricated you will also be able to buy full rear quarter panels as the company making them is making a tool for the whole side. The will however be expensive ~£600 was the last number i heard mentioned.

Finding original rear quarters will be exceptionally difficult, especially the passenger side. They have been out of stock for about 10 years and people are hiding them away.
Half a Turbo Track Toy!!
MG Saloons Winner 'Best Moddified Rover'

1234dist
Coupe Super Poster

Post by 1234dist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:48 pm

depending where your damage stops, you could try the cabrio panels

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ALH38004
£90 inc vat

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ALH38006
£114 ic vat

Both are in stock
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Post by joshfman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Hey nice one for that. It's all sounding abit more promising now. So if I post some photos tomorrow (it's abit dark now and I've justcome back from work) will you be able to tell me if those panels work? Iam abit confused by the pics on rimmer bros as they are in pieces where as I thought the rover coupe ones are in one piece? Iam I right or ? 600 pounds for a panel is pricey but I'd Its what I need to do to get my car going then it will have to be done I guess :/

Many thanks

Monster Hunter
Ultimate Post Whore

Post by Monster Hunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 am

£600 is for both sides, not per panel, PS Bodge has no OE panles..... me and big graham have the remaining stock, and your looking at a grand fior mine minimum if I ever decided to sell..... they are not rare they are rocking horse logger rare, I personally would wait a few months for the rear quarter sections to be reproduced and get them... top tip as well, wait some one of the guys who have already paid for them to A check quality of them, then spend a lot more money cutting out and refitting new parts... see what snags they hit etc etc
H
B S L F
2007 RINGER/Cadwell/Donnington/silverstone/
10k Poster....

kevinwillis
Coupe Super Poster

Post by kevinwillis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Add is spot on with his information :D

We will be able to make whole rear quarter panel for both sides off a coupe and indeed as It stands I will be the recipient off the first reproduced whole panel for each side as a replacement for the panels that I am personally providing to enable the repair panel project to move forwards.

The lower repair panels that have been ordered are priced at £240.00 per side including VAT but excluding delivery.

The starting price mentioned for a whole panel to be reproduced was from £600.00 upwards and could have ended up as much as £1,000.00 depending on the amount off hand finishing needed. The was a thread started by me back in November/ December 2015 or January 2016 asking who would be interested in this but given the unknown exact cost and the fact the most people only needed the lower area the focus changed to the lower section and arch rear quarter repair thread that you have looked at.

It was also felt that the few cars that need a whole rear quarter panel would either have more accident damage than could be repaired or would cot more to repair than the owner or their insurance company would be prepared to pay. That was nearly two years ago and values are going up and indeed a number off member have agreed value coupe between 3K and & 7k so even insurance company's will be considering doing these repairs when the panels are available.

What side do you need?

We would need to see at least pictures off you car and ideally it in the flesh to see if you really need a whole panel and to know how best I and we as a club in total can help you.

We are currently considering whether or not to have a test lower repair panel professionally fitted to a suitable car before the rest are hand finished. the same consideration would be given to a whole repair panel when the time comes.
Whether your car and you are the suitable participants to bring this plan forwards is the question. The cost off the panel and the fitting /painting off it would be entirely at your expense but if a body shop that met with our approval was to be used we certainly could ensure that a reproduced panel was made available at the earliest possible point. The end cost off a reproduced panel will be known once my original panels have been replaced.

H and Martin Hodge would be able to give you a idea off the body shop costs involved if you have not already been quotes and depending on where in the country you are or are prepared to have your car moved to other members may be able to subject a suitable body shop.

How ever is first to have a panel fitted is always going to be the Gini pig. Do you want it to be you??

What time scale would you be planning to get your coupe fixed in ideally?

I will pm you my phone number if you want to talk to me.

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Post by joshfman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Kevin... here's some photos with regards to our covosation earlier. Image

joshfman
Coupe Lover

Post by joshfman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

OK that went wrong I'll email you

kevinwillis
Coupe Super Poster

Post by kevinwillis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am

I have not had any emails yet so I will pm you my email address incase the link on here does not work.

kevinwillis
Coupe Super Poster

Post by kevinwillis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Just spotted the pictures you emailed me yesterday. I have past them on to Craig how should be able to get them up on here later.
Last edited by kevinwillis on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoupeRich
Coupe Veteran

Post by CoupeRich » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 am

I think I have (or at least my body shop man has) found a solution to rotten sills, without the need to cut up quarter panels.

Basically, rover 400 sills can be made to fit, and look pretty good. They need modification by someone with metalwork skills..

Only difference is the strengthening depressions are not there, but I had slight step out in the panel to replicate there function

Although not oe, it look oe and I think is actually a better job, if they can be cut in the right place

I'm happier as it meant I could get rid of the whole sills rather than patch. You will be surprised on the amount of internal corrosion, even on good cars

Pictures to follow