Rockingham Race Report

Chat/discussion for Rover specific topics
No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

droberts
Coupe Veteran

Rockingham Race Report

Post by droberts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 pm

:D First of all a big thank you to Add, Jimm and Izzy who helped out yesterday... Izzy was timing (even in the pouring rain), Add and Jimm were busy getting their hands dirty, and as Mr G pointed out, we're feeling like a team. Whilst I may be on the drivers table, I've no doubt where our star is... James drove very well all weekend again. He was fast in every session, showed great maturity to start the race and proved he was capable of door-to-door overtaking (not just fast times). He even cooked the bacon butties...

We qualified 17th overall, James setting the fast time, and whilst I'd had little dry-running it was clear I wasn't going to get within a second of it. The only place I was faster was turn 1 - flat in 5th. 129 mph just before braking, but not possible if an MX5 is in your way (else you'll spin and destroy your new tyres - cough!)

Predicted thunderstorms had been and gone, and left us to a dry late afternoon for our race (or so we thought). Everyone would start on dry tyres (gulp, as we saw the black clouds approaching). James initially got wheel spin, but would take 3-places at turn 2! He continued to battle hard and finished lap 1 in 15th and lap 2 in 14th.

Then the heavens opened (and the tap was fully on). Again, James showed great maturity to maintain his pace (but we'd seen how good he is in the wet). The safety car came out, some cars came in immediately to change tyres, this would prove to take too long (and was outside of the pit window). Others came in after 15mins, but we left James out to benefit from his wet weather skills. The safety car stayed out, and out, cars came in, and before we knew it the tannoy pronouced...

"Its James Roberts, the photographer, leading the race". Some cars had got stuck behind slower class cars due to early pit stops (and of course there's no overtaking under safety car). This wasn't like formula 1, the train was spread out over the circuit, not one snake behind the safety car (indeed there were two cars behind the safety car and in front of James which were effectively a lap behind). The commentator would remind us all again, "...they are out of position, the orange Tomcat is in the lead".

Indeed, as the safety car peeled off James got away well, but there were no blue flags warning the others "a faster car was approaching", ...maybe a little too fast as the Mini and Tomcat both locked into turn-2, the Tomcat leaving a nice battle scar before losing the lead to an M3. James battled on, punching above his weight, setting another fast wet lap.

RCOC pit stop time, everyone knew their place as James raced in 60km/h sure seems fast in a wet pit lane! Driver change, to a rather heavier, older Mr Roberts - I was told this would help traction :roll:

I later discovered we rejoined in 17th place, but thought we were further up field, I just didn't know! There was nothing behind me and I was gradually catching a white Ginetta. "Okay Dave, don't do anything silly bring it home". However, a group of cars were catching me. They were lapping the Tomcat, but no blue flags??? Am I racing them? It didn't matter, there was no way of keep that Pug 106 off me blimey he was quick - indeed he won the race. Next up the Porsche 968 I shared the garage with, I made it difficult but lets face it aqua-planing approaching Tarzan is not good! I caught and passed another class B car, and others simply fell off the circuit, we were now up to 14th. As the last lap approached an MR2 turbo in my class caught me, we battled through the chicane and onto the banking he just pipped me to the flag (but was actually a lap down!!!)

It made no difference after all Jimm! A good result then, 14th overall and 5th in class again.

Last edited by droberts on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davva

Re: Rockingham Race Report

Post by Davva » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 am

Pictures not working ?

Well done to everyone. Sounds a great day out, hopefully now my building work is done I'll beable to get to one of these events. Keep us informed of when they are Dave.
Dave

1993 220 NASP
1972 MG Midget

Jimm
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jimm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 am

Was a really top day Dave. It was Izzy'z first race on that side of the pit wall and she was really happy to be able to help and enjoyed the day.

I can't wait for the next one!
1995 220 turbo coupe (gone, but sorely missed)
1998 VVC in rare tahiti blue
1993 220 turbo track car

I'm a "Ringer" '07, '08, '09

droberts
Coupe Veteran

Post by droberts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Glad to hear it Jimm 8)
Dave - hopefully you can see the snaps now?
We may be doing CSCC race at Oulton next month, but will let you all know nearer the time ;)

oneoffcoupe
Coupe Super Poster

Post by oneoffcoupe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Great write up & pics Dave, well done to u & James & indeed all the team!
Paul

1998 VVC Coupe

martinhodge
Honorary Member

Post by martinhodge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

looks like a great day . sorry i couldnt be their . but dont really need to many of use their lol to many chefs and all that

TC
Coupe Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm

droberts wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm
We may be doing CSCC race at Oulton next month, but will let you all know nearer the time ;)
That's up near me so would hopefully be able to come and give my support. :D

Add
Gravel Trap Queen

Post by Add » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Another great day of racing. Thanks for letting me be part of the pit crew, I think we're beginning to gel into an effective unit already. A bit more practice and there will be time for a Cuppa during the driver change :)
Half a Turbo Track Toy!!
MG Saloons Winner 'Best Moddified Rover'

droberts
Coupe Veteran

Post by droberts » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am

"Your sat on it Dave... your sat on it!"
Add's desperation during the pit stop, as he fumbled around trying to get the belts from under my backside :P :lol:

Here's another pic of the team at work:

oneoffcoupe
Coupe Super Poster

Post by oneoffcoupe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm

He just wanted a feel Dave, gotta watch that one :roll:

Happy smiles or is the sun in ur eye's Add?! 8)
Paul

1998 VVC Coupe