Re-badged / specced cars

A general chit chat area. Available to all members. No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

stew
Website Administrator
Website Administrator

Re-badged / specced cars

Post by stew » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am

Just a word of caution - something to look out for if you're in the market for a used car (not Rover Coupe related).

Seen a couple of instances lately of cars being sold as different variants than their actual original spec. uncovered by comparing the original specs with the options available and identifying that there is no possible combination that was offered from new. You might argue it doesn't really matter if the modifications have been made to improve the vehicle but in the cases I've seen it looks like often the cars are missing other options that should have been included if they match the level of trim they are being sold as.

Probably an age old used car dealer trick, but in one instance it was as bad as them using a mixture of photographs of completely different cars (same manufacturer, different model!) in online adverts. In my view that's highly misleading and it makes you wonder what they've got away with in the past that they can be that brazen in trying to rip the unsuspecting buyer off.
Stew

220 Coupe - naturally aspirated

Cambridgeshire

conductorwomble

Re: Re-badged / specced cars

Post by conductorwomble » Mon May 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm no expert, but are private sellers covered by the Trades Description Act? If so, perhaps individuals could make a claim in the small claims court if caught out? My silver 1.6 was advertised as a VVC, when it was clearly 1.6 K Series from the photographs. Not sure if it was down to ignorance or deliberate!

1998 1.8 VVC - Tahiti Blue/Red Piccadilly & Leather
1998 1.8 VVC - Nightfire Red/Red Piccadilly and Leather
2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT - Firefrost (Ex Rover Press Demonstrator)

stew
Website Administrator
Website Administrator

Re: Re-badged / specced cars

Post by stew » Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm

It's a good question - I'm not sure - perhaps someone with more legal knowledge on here could answer that one. Personally I could excuse a private individual from it. As you say it could be a genuine mistake or perhaps they themselves were misled in the past. But in my view it is inexcusable for anyone trading for profit (whether they're legally registered or not) to mislead potential buyers and very likely illegal.

The worst of it is a thing of the past now it's harder to deceive the average punter as long as they check the obvious (engine, chassis numbers, history, hpi etc.) but it seems there are still a fair few dodgy dealers out there.
Stew

220 Coupe - naturally aspirated

Cambridgeshire