Insurance claim question...

A general chit chat area. Available to all members. No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

xxxxxdebyxxxxx
Coupe Super Poster

Insurance claim question...

Post by xxxxxdebyxxxxx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Hello to all old and new members :P

anyone knocking around who works for an insurance claims garage?

had no mot for a week now and someone went into the side of me today, yes i know i shouldnt have been driving it but i was sourcing parts for mot re-test (its booked in for friday)

the woman who hit me has excepted full liability and their garage will have to pick the car up and determine whether its a write off or poss do the work

my problem- the car has abs light on and window wipers dont work and obviously no mot! does this mean my insurance was invalid as i was driving a car that was not road worthy at the time of the accident

will the garage ask to see the mot? if the car is written off then will they want the mot along with other docs?

obviously if the car is gona be written off (as i suspect it will) then id rather not pay out for parts n labour, unless i need to of course.

any takes on this? help :cry:
Rover Coupe vvc gone but not forgotten x
Honda prelude it was fun- before the accident :-$
Now- Hynudai F2 coupe- what a beauty!
But... i wouldnt say no to another Honda ;-)

Nasp220
Senior Poster

Re: Insurance claim question...

Post by Nasp220 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:16 pm

right...first of all sorry hear your bad news....

I've heard tonight that about 2 weeks ago a new law was passed saying that once a car failed an mot it failed instantly, you are no longer allowed to drive it for 14days after to get it sorted....

So simply, as you admitted, you shouldn't have been driving it, so yes, you're insurance will jump at the chance not to have to pay out.....

Thats about all i have to offer i'm afraid....sorry it's not much help...
Trust me... i'm a doctor!!
1993 Rover 220 Coupe NA - Tahiti Blue - Series 1 - The Original

Stu
1000+ member

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes it does mean you were driving illegally and technically un-insured.

They may not check the MOT status if being repaired, although they do not need you to provide anything to check its status as it can all be done online.

If the car is written off then they will most likely check its MOT status.

You do run the risk that should they find it was not legally on the road that they will throw out your claim and inform the police as well who may bring a prosecution against you. The insurance company could then bring a case against you to recover all costs for repairing the car that hit you (very unfair I know but technically you shouldn't have been there to hit).

Its a real rats nest of a situation I'm afraid.
Stu

VVC

Stu
1000+ member

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Nasp220 wrote:I've heard tonight that about 2 weeks ago a new law was passed saying that once a car failed an mot it failed instantly, you are no longer allowed to drive it for 14days after to get it sorted....
No new law needed as there has never been a 14 day grace period for MOT failure. You must be thinking about the car tax grace period that many believed existed. This was also an old wives tail as there has never been a grace period for that either.
Stu

VVC

TOMC4T
1000+ member

Post by TOMC4T » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear what happened, and hope all gets sorted out with as little stress / cost / points as possible.

A question I have for you all. The traffic police cars with the number recognition cameras in them - once they have read your registration plate, can they also tell if you haven't got an MOT as easy as they can tell your road tax has expired?

I stopped using my MOT failed car a couple of weeks ago, purely because a friend advised me that the traffic police cars CAN actually tell if your MOT has expired!

Sorry! I appreciate this posibly isn't helping you Debby. :-| Good luck.
David
BRG P-Reg Rover 218 VVC Coupe + 16" BRM Cosmos + NO Rear Spoiler + NO Rear Wiper!

Stu
1000+ member

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, APNR does retrieve the MOT status I believe.
Stu

VVC

TOMC4T
1000+ member

Post by TOMC4T » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Stu for confirming what I'd been told. ;)
David
BRG P-Reg Rover 218 VVC Coupe + 16" BRM Cosmos + NO Rear Spoiler + NO Rear Wiper!

tompinney
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by tompinney » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi Deby. Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately, its pretty much as Stu says.
Stu wrote:Yes, APNR does retrieve the MOT status I believe.
It certainly does. It will check MOT, insurance and tax status of the car.
Tom

Above all, it's a Rover!

Nasp220
Senior Poster

Post by Nasp220 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:09 pm

in regards to the ANPR....

The moment it beeps up on their screen they know whether you have tax, mot and insurance....who should be driving and other stuff comes over the radio from recent tv specials i've been watching.

And to stu, i was never 100% sure about the 14days, but either way this new law has been passed to iron out the creases....
Trust me... i'm a doctor!!
1993 Rover 220 Coupe NA - Tahiti Blue - Series 1 - The Original

xxxxxdebyxxxxx
Coupe Super Poster

Post by xxxxxdebyxxxxx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 pm

ok, right well when i rang my insurance earlier they didnt say anything about me not having an mot

and im 3pft so i have to deal with the 3rd party insurers directly and wont be claiming anything from my insurance, she accepted liability so i wouldnt have to claim from my insurance anyway

ive been in touch with her insurers and they never mentioned not having mot, when do they check if the car has mot?

so going on what youve all said, that means its pointless me getting the work done that is booked in on friday because they will know i didnt have insurance for the accident period anyway, right?

when they write off the prelude in 07 i dont remember having to provide the mot, but i could be wrong

rover revenge
Regular poster

Post by rover revenge » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am

when they write off the prelude in 07 i dont remember having to provide the mot, but i could be wrong
Affraid your wrong when my car got wrote off in 2007 my insures (norwich union) asked me to send them the Keys,logbook and MOT cert. even though the accident was not my fault and i claimed off the other persons insurance
Good luck with it and i do hope you get off the hook

james26386
1000+ member

Post by james26386 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 am

Stu wrote:
Nasp220 wrote:I've heard tonight that about 2 weeks ago a new law was passed saying that once a car failed an mot it failed instantly, you are no longer allowed to drive it for 14days after to get it sorted....
No new law needed as there has never been a 14 day grace period for MOT failure. You must be thinking about the car tax grace period that many believed existed. This was also an old wives tail as there has never been a grace period for that either.

Not sure of it being an old wives tale - my brothers tax ran out recently, unfortunately badly timed as it failed its mot the day before. Off the top of my head, you need valid insurance and mot to get tax??

Either way, he phoned the DVLA to explain the situation saying he would need to get the car SORNed whilst he fixed it up (or actually prove that the mot station were lying scumbags trying to rape himof moneys) and they said he has 14 days grace before he needed to either pay for a new disc, or SORN it if it still hadn't got a valid mot.

xxxxxdebyxxxxx
Coupe Super Poster

Post by xxxxxdebyxxxxx » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 am

rover revenge wrote:
Affraid your wrong when my car got wrote off in 2007 my insures (norwich union) asked me to send them the Keys,logbook and MOT cert. even though the accident was not my fault and i claimed off the other persons insurance
Good luck with it and i do hope you get off the hook

i found the log book, mot, and usermanual for the prelude in the cuboard so i know i didnt have to send them off when they scrapped it

xxxxxdebyxxxxx
Coupe Super Poster

Post by xxxxxdebyxxxxx » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:18 pm

someone has told me today that

the only way its ok to be driving with no mot is if i was on the way to the garage to get the mot done, is this right?

StuBlake13
Senior Poster

Post by StuBlake13 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah that is right. So in order to avoid repurcussions you would probably need something from a garage with their letter head saying you had an MOT booked in with them. That said though if the 3rd party insurers found this then they very well could do you for fraud on top of everything else ;)
I don't give a **** if you suffer from Triskaidekaphobia!
I'd go to Plymouth and back for my coupe!!!....Oh wait look...I DID! :D