A new daily driver, but remaining loyal to MGR!...

A general chit chat area. Available to all members. No for sale adverts

Moderator: Moderators

TOMC4T
1000+ member

A new daily driver, but remaining loyal to MGR!...

Post by TOMC4T » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Evening all!... :smt039

Right, the time has finally come to SORN my BRG P-reg VVC Tomcat as the 25 mile / dual-carriageway / National speed limit / all weather commute to work every day, is literally destroying the car, so another daily driver has been acquired so that I can rebuild the Coupe over the next couple of years. Here's (a library!) photo of my Coupe...

...and here's my new daily driver - a 2005/54 plate MG ZT 160+ 1.8 Turbo with a mere 88k on the clock, in (MBB) Starlight Silver, with 18" Grid Spoke alloys.

I was lucky enough to be able to borrow it for a week from the garage that do all the work on my Coupe, so during that time I managed to list everything that was wrong with the car - there was a brake warning light on the dash, an SRS warning light on the dash, the fans cut in after 20 seconds stationary but it's not overheating, the central locking doesn't work on the nearside front door, one fog lamp lens is cracked, the nearside rear door card is loose, the battery clamp is loose, and there's no cover on the battery box as there should be. When I asked if it was For Sale, they said that it had been advertised for £1000, then £850, but they would let me have it for £700 - coz they like me, and I'm a good customer! ❤ lol

Rather than try and haggle the price any lower, I said I would take it if they sorted out all of the above issues, to which they agreed as long as I acquired a central locking actuator (£10 from Albert Looms scrapyard) and a new fog light (yet to acquire). They are also fiotting a set of MG7 spark plugs as they had noticed that it wasn't pulling cleanly in 2nd & 3rd - and they are giving me a 6 month warranty on the car, INCLUDING the head gasket! "Life's too short not to!" as MG might say!... ;)

They will be doing all of the above work tomorrow, including a precautionary cambelt replacement as I do not know when it was changed last. Friday will see me take the ZT off for a fortnight in Devon & Cornwall with my good lady, so that will be the car's first real long distance test outside a run to the Lincolnshire coast, and to Cheshire to see my Mother.

The car is absolutely stunning to drive - so solid, so tight, so refined, so enjoyable, and generally a complete pleasure to be behind the wheel of! Literally SO MUCH car for the money...

David
BRG P-Reg Rover 218 VVC Coupe + 16" BRM Cosmos + NO Rear Spoiler + NO Rear Wiper!

stew
Website Administrator
Website Administrator

Re: A new daily driver, but remaining loyal to MGR!...

Post by stew » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am

Nice ride... the chap I bought my Coupe off had another he was hoping to restore, but in the mean time got a ZT as a daily for his commute and to accommodate the family. Sounds like you got a good deal there too.

I'm looking for something small(ish) for commuting when I take mine off the road. I would go for a ZR / ZS or 25 / 45 but the trouble is there are not as many about as there used to be and the values are so low finding a good example that has been looked after is hard. Deliberated on a MGF/TF but I need to run it over the winter and not sure how well they would cope. Might go for something Japanese instead but well see. End of the day whatever I get needs to be something that won't matter too much if I just do all but the necessary servicing since the Coupe will still be taking all of my time (and probably money!) to bring up to a good standard.
Stew

220 Coupe - naturally aspirated

Cambridgeshire

Add
Gravel Trap Queen

Post by Add » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 am

I've spent many a happy hour in Albert Looms.......

Good work taking the Coupe away from daily use and good luck with the new one.
Half a Turbo Track Toy
All of another Turbo
And some other Boosted toys.

Stagalfa

Post by Stagalfa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Yeah I used to spend a lot of time in "Loomsies" when I lived in Spondon.
1978 Stag
Purple 1.8 VVT
2012 Toyota GT86

Jimm
Former RCOC Staff

Post by Jimm » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Nice purchase David. I have a diesel ZTT and it drives nice. The engine is horrible though. I drove VVC geezers 160 75 the other week and that was a much better engine! Enjoy it but don't forget the coupe!
1995 220 turbo coupe (gone, but sorely missed)
1998 VVC in rare tahiti blue
1993 220 turbo track car

I'm a "Ringer" '07, '08, '09

VVC-Geeza

Post by VVC-Geeza » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Jimm wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm
Nice purchase David. I have a diesel ZTT and it drives nice. The engine is horrible though. I drove VVC geezers 160 75 the other week and that was a much better engine! Enjoy it but don't forget the coupe!
160 :whistling:

kevinwillis
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

Post by kevinwillis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am

I Like the 75.

So much car for NO money. I still have a 1.8T Contemportery SE Tourer that needed the head gasket doing, new screen, replacement rear bumper and osr door plus tyres that is otherwise in very good condition, But with 2 other 75 Tourers with MOT,s and Insured ready for use the is no point in rushing on this one. And no point in doing it up to sell on as it would probable end up owe me more than it would ever sell for :(

TOMC4T
1000+ member

Post by TOMC4T » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Many thanks, one & all.

It really is such a nice car to drive - very solid, and with that 'very safe' feeling that a car of this stature and refinement provides you. :o

Don't get me wrong - there's a list of jobs that will need seeing to apart from what I listed in my original post. The garage sorted out the brake warning light, SRS warning light, and replaced the cambelt, etc on Thursday. The only thing they didn't manage to sort out was the central locking as they ran out of time to replace the actuator before they closed.

We are away now on a fortnights holiday in Devon / Cornwall - and the car performed faultlessly on the 320+ mile run down the M42 / M5 / A38 yesterday morning. I checked the water level again just now and it was sat nicely above the maximum level - exactly as it was before we left.
David
BRG P-Reg Rover 218 VVC Coupe + 16" BRM Cosmos + NO Rear Spoiler + NO Rear Wiper!

TOMC4T
1000+ member

Post by TOMC4T » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:06 pm

VVC-Geeza wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm
Jimm wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm
160 :whistling:
Am I right in thinking that yours has been mapped, Mick? :roll: If so, would you mind telling me who you used, and any other mods you've incorporated as well, please?
David

Jimm
Former RCOC Staff

Post by Jimm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am

Mick used ZandF tuning who are now Kmaps. He has a massive dump valve! :roll:
1995 220 turbo coupe (gone, but sorely missed)
1998 VVC in rare tahiti blue
1993 220 turbo track car

I'm a "Ringer" '07, '08, '09

stew
Website Administrator
Website Administrator

Post by stew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 am

Jimm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am
He has a massive dump valve! :roll:
That's no way to talk about a fellow MGR enthusiast :roll:
Stew

220 Coupe - naturally aspirated

Cambridgeshire

Monster Hunter
Ultimate Post Whore

Post by Monster Hunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 am

Good idea to have a back up,I'm on my third focus now, save the miles on the coupe..
H
B S L F
2007 RINGER/Cadwell/Donnington/silverstone/
10k Poster....

1234dist
Coupe Super Poster

Post by 1234dist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am

third focus because they keep going on holiday without him :facepalm:
Coupe Project K785OAT
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP